Thursday, June 30, 2011

iPhone Junkie

Everyday, I am more and more understanding of all the things the "old people" said to me when I was younger. Especially the phrase "They had nothing like that in my day" I was given  a cell phone when I was turned 16 to keep in my car for emergencies. No bells and whistles-just a huge gray flip phone with an even bigger battery. There was no caller ID, voicemail or even a way to store your contacts-you actually had to know your friends and family's phone numbers! None of my friends had a cell phone and I was supposed to have it on when I was in the car and more often than not it stayed turned off. Most of my friends had pagers and had a quarter for the pay phone if needed. Even when I went to college I just used my dorm phone and most people either didn't have one or had one they rarely used. Sadly though, over time the cell phone became a huge part of my (and most of America's for that matter) daily life. Now you can watch movies, download and listen to music, check the highlights of a game and plenty more than just turn it on and make a phone call. What's even sadder, is that our 2 year old daughter can pick up my phone and knowingly make a phone call to her Daddy (speaker phone on) She can also access all her pictures and her favorite videos I've taken of her and Luke. I know for a fact that my own father can't maneuver around an iPhone the way his granddaughter can. I can't even begin to imagine what will be out there when Emma turns 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment