Friday, September 23, 2011

Thursday Night Fun

We try and get together with Papa (Roger) for dinner on Thursday evenings. I usually cook something and Papa brings the extras, goldfish for Emma and DP for me :o) This has been a gloomy, yucky week for the weather-so I thought red beans and rice would be a perfect meal. Super simple and cheap to make! All you need is about 2 cups of dried kidney beans, a pound of sliced sausage, one onion (I use the sweet ones), 2 cloves of minced garlic, a few cups of water-I add it last and eye ball it and still end up taking a little out at the end-salt and pepper, chili powder, dash of celery salt and a little garlic salt. Just throw all the ingredients in your crock pot on low and let sit all day. About thirty minutes before you are going to eat, crank the crock pot to high and scoop out about a cup and mash all the beans, sausage and onion together. This thickens the broth a little. Just fix up some white rice, add a little shredded cheese, sour cream and for a fun twist we had a little guac too! The thing I'm really bad about with seasoning things, is that I never know how much of them I use. So, more often than not, meals can taste a little different every time I make it! I guess that keeps them from ever getting old-ha! Emma had a GREAT time with Papa in her room-they were in there for at least an hour playing and "eating" Now that Katelyn will be moving back home (next week!!) and staying with Nana at first, I have a feeling we will be having quite the family get togethers on Thursday nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment